Lance Boykin 2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report
- A two-star recruit at cornerback in the Class of 2018 by 247sports
- Totaled 99 tackles and 14 interceptions in his career at High Point Christian Academy
- Also rushed for 1,560 yards and 16 touchdowns on offense in his high school career
- Scheme tendencies: Mixture of man and zone with half-turn alignment
- 2022 projected role: Starting CB
Pros: Lance Boykin is a tall cornerback with long levers at his disposal. Boykin plays with good instincts and IQ. He is confident in his footwork and transitional movement skills. For a bigger corner, Boykin has a fluid lower body to help change directions with his receiver. His long arms present a difficult challenge to overcome at the catch point. I admire the play recognition skills Boykin possesses. He reads run versus pass quickly and adjusts accordingly. Active and engaged in run support, he understands his assignments and fits his lands properly. He has a level of confidence and swag that cannot be taught! He has flashes of good ball skills when competing at the catch point.
Cons: Lance Boykin does not deliver a lot of pop when contacting ball carriers in the run game. He could benefit from adding more strength to his frame, as he is a tall and linear athlete. Boykin aligns in off-coverage with a half-zone turn. This leaves him susceptible to quick-hitting routes. I would like to see more reps in press-man alignment this season to maximize his physical attributes. Testing will be key for Boykin to have a verified time for his speed as there are concerns in that area.
Lance Boykin NFL Draft Scouting Report by Damian Parson